Thursday, April 4, 2013

Over load!

So it's April. It was almost 80 degrees this past weekend. People wore shorts, sleeveless tops, sandals...and today, you know, it's sleeting? Seriously ya'll?

I have to say, I am very thankful for the rain with my crazy allergies. One day my eye is watering like a leaking faucet, one day my ear hurts like someone jabbed a letter opener into my ear drum, then the next my throat hurts like someone took a lice scraper to the back of my throat (I know the last one was quite a bit disgusting...yikes! but you catch my drift)...And the weird part of it all, all of the pain is on the left side...I guess it could be worse!

Most everyone knows I'm a nerd. I tried to surpress it in highschool to "fit it" but now that I'm finally at the age where I just don't care and my peers don't spend every waking hour trying to pick on someone for the clothes they wear and the zits on their face (good thing I didn't get acne until a year ago), I've learned to embrace my inner nerd because let's face it, it sure does come in handy! Everyone going back to school at work comes to me for homework help and it's so much fun! I always say it's a win win for us both; they get the help they need and I get to "go back to school" for free!

Anyway, I love to read. No really. LOVE. In school, meh, I had too much other stuff to do like write notes in cute color crayola markers to stick in my very best friend's lockers and honestly, I wasn't interested in reading when I HAD to. I only remember reading 2 books throughout my whole schooling career:
--"Fahrenheit 451" only because I learned they burned books and I was totally a wanna be rebel in 6th grade
--"The Count of Monte Cristo" because my 10th grade hippie teacher said it was the closest thing to reading a soap opera and at the time I was infatuated with Guiding Light and Young & Restless.

Growing up, in the summers, my youngest cousin and I would always coax my great grandma into taking us to the local public library after she went to bank up the road with the yummy green lolipops. My cousin and I would get countless Goosebumps books and just sit and read and read to each other while my great grandma would nap listening to us.

My love for books has continued into adulthood. I get so engulfed in them. It's like I'm part of the story! In 6th grade, my language arts teacher was batty. Bless her heart, she needed to retire about 10 years prior to teaching me. BUT she loved reading to us (which meant we didnt have the responsibility of doing it on our own...and loved giving out candy--and this girl loves me some sour gummy worms) (whats a good strory without candy?) (please tell me I'm not the only one that wants a hershey with almonds everytime you watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). We read (I believe it was this one?) "Where the Red Fern Grows" and when one of the dogs die (sorry if I just ruined it for you), my teacher cried...I mean in front of the class, needing tissues, couldnt get herself together, blubbering like it was HER dog that just died! I didn't get it. Neither did any of the other immature creatures in my class.

I get it now. I love a good book that makes me cry, laugh out loud, smile like I'm watching a show...

So without further a-do, here is a list of some good reads (because I know atleast ONE of my readers like to read too!):

-"Sisters" - Danielle Steel
           My mom has always been a Danielle Steel fan and I was heading on a long road trip and happened to see this book and I'm so glad I got it. It's about this family where something happens and it brings the family closer...it's so much more to it than this but I don't want to ruin anything for ya'll!

-"I Will Carry You" - Angie Smith
          Angie is married to a singer from the Christian band "Selah". I follow her blog. She is they type of person where you feel like you know her but have never met her. She is real. I know everyone struggles with different things. I read this after I had the miscarriage. I've never cried so hard in my life. She put into words exactly how I was feeling. If you have ever struggled with infertility or miscarriage or even not...read this book. Seriously. You will be blessed beyond words.

-"Sparkly Green Earrings" - Melanie Shankle
          Melanie, better known as "Big Mama" from her blog, just published this book. I havent finished reading it but ya'll...it's so good. She is so down to earth and if you have kids (even if you don't...I don't yet...) it is just hilarious.


Those are my top picks so far! I'll keep ya'll updated!

Happy Friday-eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment